Monday 14 July 2014

Ben's skills session


Ben is an ex triathlete that has gradually moved to mountain biking and wanted to keep up with his off road riding buddies. The skills check showed me that Ben needed work on looking and body position and I made a critical set up change that really changed how he felt on the bike and I showed him why.
 The drop technique was first up and I worked on applying both physical and mental skill sets and he began landing smooth and controlled and off of drop far higher than he'd ever tried previous to today.
 We moved to cornering and onto the singletrack trail to work on managing the trails speed and becoming faster as a by product. Flat, bermed, off camber and switchback turns were linked to pumping, absorbing, rock gardens, drops, steps and drop offs. Soon Ben was riding the whole trail end to end and self diagnosing any errors he was making and he knew why it felt right or wrong.
Onto jumping and I used a 6ft tabletop for this and in a few short moves, Ben sailed over the jump and landed perfectly on the downslope. I made him go slower and faster and he landed in the same place as his effort matched speed. I knew he was tiring mentally and I was proved correct when Ben declared it himself done.
Awesome session Ben and let me know how the riding goes.
High5!

















No comments:

Post a Comment