Friday 21 October 2011

Taking the Sketchy out of their mtbing!







Simon, James and Nigel came to me to get more comfortable jumping and also to develop their cornering. The skills check is where i made the set up changes that were necessary and where I found the areas in their skill sets that required work.
I began with the drop technique and used the largest drop to develop their looking and body positioning in flight and that enabled me to show them how to style it in the air.



I then moved to working on their cornering and linking sections together. we worked on pumping techniques and used the speed to link the 14 sections on the trail together. Flat , bermed, off camber and switchback turns, drops , steps and rock gardens were all linked using their skill set and they really began to shift down the trail.
I then moved to the tabletop and 6ft gap jump side to work on their physical and mental skill sets before turning it up a notch.
We moved onto a 9ft gap jump and once I had demonstrated it, they all rode it with confidence.



Simon began tweaking it in the air too.





They then started riding it together to replicate just riding a trail and their new body positioning in both jumping and cornering was really paying off.





Nigel was really railing the berm that came after the 9ft gap jump with commitment and confidence.


As did James, who was motoring all day and as his looking developed he began feeling slow as the vanishing point moved away from him.


Lastly we moved onto a dirt jump with a steeper lip as all three had said they have issues with those kind of take offs and I worked on that before linking it into a 12ft gap into a berm.
Simon was first to link the two together but Nigel and James soon followed.
The session ended with myself giving a riding demonstration of the skills in use in my own riding being applied to the same techniques we'd covered.
Great session guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment