Monday 3 October 2011

public jumps and drops session









The session was supposed to be 5 riders but after an injury on Sunday, one had to drop out and Pete and Nicole were no shows, I ended up doing the session with Si and Richard.
I began with set up and the skills check where I discover what is missing in their riding in terms of the skill set. I changed their set ups accordingly to enhance their skills.
We began with the 3 drops that are of differing heights and in no time at all they were both sailing over them and landing perfectly.


We then moved on. I gave them some cornering coaching to as I like to keep it realistic and get them to link drops into berms and once again they began getting to grips with it quickly.


After a while it was time to show why their new skill set made it simple and easy to jump. I used a flyout jump for this and eventually we moved onto a 6ft tabletop.

After a while , they were both landing on the transition sweetly and the smiles were beaming ear to ear. I could see they were tiring in the October sunshine but I wanted to show them the pumping technique and use it to gain speed along a trail.

Both Richard and Si connected with the technique very well and in a short space of time but the heat of the day and the mental aspect of my coaching sessions really took its toll and our session ended with myself giving a riding demonstration of the same skill set in use in my own riding.
A cold beer was shared in the shade as a fitting end to a great session.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Tony

    Thanks for a great session. I really enjoyed it and my riding came along leaps and bounds, I can't wait to get out on my bike again! I particularly liked the relaxed and friendly atmosphere as well as your no pressure style of coaching, allowing me to take things at my own pace. Absolutely excellent!!
    Siy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony what a fantastic day! Loved every minute of it. Really learnt a lot and feel so much more confident on drops and jumps. And loved the way things progressed so smoothly that even the 6ft table top felt manageable throughout. Will recommend you to my riding buddies.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete