Tuesday 5 July 2011

David's 1 to 1 session





David came to me on recommendation and on meeting I gave him my commitments for the session and future coaching. The skills check revealed the missing skills and also the ones present. It revealed looking and body position faults in corners and looking in other areas. I corrected his bike set up and set to work.
We began with braking technique and then moved onto the drop technique. In no time at all David was landing perfectly. After a while we moved onto the skills trail and we began working on linking the 14 sections on the trail together using the correct braking zones. I covered pumping undulations on the trail where you can use the trails energy rather than pedal.
We linked rock gardens, berms, steps, fly out jumps, flat ,switchback and off camber turns and drops.


I worked hard on line choice from drops into berms and soon David was linking the sections on the trail smoother and faster than before. On a timed 70 meter section he saved a further 3 seconds by focusing on body position and looking.
After a few complete runs of the trail we moved onto the final technique of the session, Jumping tabletops.

David used his new mental skill set to great effect and mixed with his physical skill set cleared the tabletop easily and even rode the 6ft gap jump too!
This brought our session to a close as mental tiredness began to show.
Awesome session!

1 comment:

  1. Was a great lesson. Loads of expert advice coming at exactly the right speed for me. Just need to put it all into practice now and get my brain to stop making me ride the brakes round the corners. And must plan a trip to Woburn :-)

    ReplyDelete