Wednesday 22 February 2012

Tim, Rob and Lawrence's private coaching session





Tim, Rob and Lawrence turned up as arranged and Over a coffee we chatted about their aspirations for the session and beyond and then I put them through my skills check. I found feet, looking and body position faults so I made some set up changes and set to work.



As always I began with drops and using both their mental skills and physical they began riding all 3 drops easily, commenting on how simple it felt.
I moved us onto the skills trail and I broke the trail into quarters so we could focus on the sections easier before adding them all together later. Fly out jumps, rock gardens, pumping, steps and drops were linked to flat, bermed, off camber and switchback corners by using the correct braking areas.

The lads were surprised at how easy it was to get air and control up slopes as they applied their new skills.


I worked on linking drops into corners and the correct line choice and before long they were riding all 14 sections on the trail end to end and faster and smoother than ever.
After a while I moved us onto the 6ft tabletop and showed why the skills applied here also and in time all 3 of them sailed over it easily.


We moved to the alpine switchback and I demonstrated linking the 2 switchbacks together using their new footwork, looking and body positions and also riding steeps.

Our session ended as they got really tired mentally and errors began to appear.
Great session and I look forward to their feedback and ongoing updates
High5!

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing the bad/wrong habits you pick up in riding, so the start of the day was about rewiring the brain a bit to correct those habits.
    Once we'd got past that point we could put this into practice we were cleaning the drops and the tabletop in no time - and with confidence in our technique.

    Can't give this course high enough praise as Tony guidance and belief in his techniques makes it all so straightforward.

    Well worth the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent day. I've struggled to corner with speed for a long time and now understand where it all was going wrong!

    If anybody has thought about getting some coaching but aren't sure about it I'd def recommend it. You're bound to learn something and come away a better rider.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete