Thursday 3 November 2011

The return of Jon






Jon 1st came to see me 18 months ago and felt it was time to return to see what had stuck and what areas could be developed further. The skills check revealed that he needed further work on his looking and that he had a body position fault in corners.
I began applying the skills, both physical and mental to the drop technique and I even got to work on moving the bike in the air too.
We moved onto the skills trail and worked further on pumping and cornering as we began linking the 14 sections on the trail together. Flat, bermed, off camber and switchback turns were linked to rock gardens, pump bumps, fly out jumps, steps and drops. I worked hard on line choice too in drops and corners before finally, Jon began riding the whole trail end to end.
Each run was faster and more fluid than the last and after quite a few runs massive improvements were showing time wise too.
It was time to move onto jumping tabletops and maybe even the gap.

In no time at all, Jon was sailing over the 6ft tabletop and after a while he was able to answer yes to the four questions I give riders to answer when faced with anything new and he rode the gap jump too! Jon was so comfortable in the air now and I moved us onto the pump and jump trail where I developed his pump technique to gain speed without pedaling to be able to jump a 9ft tabletop.


Jon showed a good appreciation of the required technique as he connected with the trail and sailed over the tabletop.
Our session ended and I rode both the pump/jump trail end to end and a high line on the woodwork so Jon could see the same skills and techniques in my own riding.
Amazing session!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Tony, what a great follow up to the previous coaching session! It felt like a whole bunch of skills came together during the day and I left feeling that I had made a giant stride forward. I'll be back for more coaching (and more stories!!), cheers Jon

    ReplyDelete